Friday, January 13, 2017

Scarlet Heart Ryeo K-Drama


I'm back with another K-Drama review and this time it's for the historical drama, Scarlet Heart Ryeo.  This drama is about a 21st century girl who gets caught in a solar eclipse and sent back into time to the Goryeo Dynasty.  I will try not to give anything away about the show for those who have not seen it for themselves but be warned there may be spoilers or hints about what happens in the show.


Now if this sounds in any way familiar to you then you might be thinking about the Scarlet Heart C-Drama, the original version of the TV series.  Now I'm not sure about you but I love remakes on some shows as long as they stay in line with the original story plot theme.  There were many parts that were related to the original story line such as the love triangle between Hae Soo (Lee Ji-eun/UI) and 4th Prince Wang So (Lee Joon-gi), and 8th Prince Wook (Kang Ha-neul); and the power hungry princes who wanted to make everyone, especially Hae Soo, happy.



Throughout the entire show, every twist and turn had me on the edge of my seat and it was amazing!  You could really feel the actor’s emotion from what they were feeling and thinking.  Also when I say emotional I mean get that box of tissues and prepare your self for the first big sad part in the show.  When it comes you are going to need that box of tissues and maybe more.  I cried like a little baby not once, not twice, but multiple times.  I think I cried a good 10 times watching all 20 episodes of this show and every time I cried I felt so bad for the characters.  Ignoring the sad part of the story I found the story very well written but I did have a few little pet peeves about this show.


One, the King in the C-Drama was nice to the Ruo Xi and treated her like his daughter while in this version he was down right cruel!  It wasn't until many years later he was nicer to Hae Soo and he was on the verge of death.  I would have preferred the King to be nicer even if he did not trust Hae Soo.

Two, this show felt like death after death making Hae Soo's miserable and sad, it broke my heart.  I also don't like crying and this show did exactly that.  I had to turn the show off because I couldn't read though the tears.  The sad part of this was I knew what was going to happen before I even watched it since I watched the original show a few months prior.  They could have at least kept the other characters alive and let them live in peaceful bliss outside of the palace.
Other than those few little things, I love this show to death.  UI did a great job play Hae Soo along with the other actors and I'm sad that the show is now over. I’m going to give the show a overall rating of a 9/10.  1 point subtracted because of the 2 flaws I found above.  I also loved all the scenery and where they shot the show, if I ever go to South Korea I would love to visit those sets!

Now I have heard there might be a season 2 or special episode in the works because all of us fan out side of S.K. wanting to see a happy ending for Hae Soo and 4th Prince in the 21st century.  I don't care how long the second season is, I just want to see the heart broken Hae Soo be happy.

There is also one thing I hope they do not repeat in the second season, and that's the twin thing they did in the second season of the C-Drama.  That just messed with me and made everything more confusing.  It would be better if you cut out the middle man or should I say twin and just make it that maybe 4th prince remember Hae Soo and Hae Soo forgets or vise versa?   However they decide to take the storyline one thing is for sure is that the twin story in the second season of the C-Drama was bad and unnecessary.

Thank you for reading this everyone I hope that you all go and watch this great show.  You can find the show on DramaFever, however, they just made it for premium users, meaning you would have to pay a subscription fee to get the other 19 episodes, the first one is free.  If you've seen Scarlet Heart Ryeo tell me what you though about it and if you want to see a second season for this show so Hae Soo can have a happy ending with her 4th Prince Wang So.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment