Friday, June 30, 2017

Learning a New Language With Duolingo


There are so many programs out there to try and learn new languages.  Theres big expensive programs that you can buy like Rosetta Stone, you can take courses in High School or college, sometimes take really big courses aren’t all ways the best way to learn things.  From the courses I’ve see they are all expensive and cost a lot and while in high school you can take courses for a few selected languages its still difficult when everything is being throw to you at once and not having it being tough to you slowly.  Jumping into a pool of water does not make you learn how to swim faster, it makes you sink quicker. 

Today I want to review an app that is free for all, Duolingo.  This is an app and website that allows you to lean and teach yourself new languages on your schedule.  When you open the app you can choose how long you want to study for a day.  It can range from 5 minutes to 30 minutes a day based on how much time you want to study for, I have mine set to 20 minutes a day because I really want to learn a new language.  Right now I am taking Dutch and Spanish.  I am a beginner so I don't know really much of anything and I can't remember anything from my Spanish class in high school.  So my challenge is to try and teach myself in a slower paced manor in a less pressure way.

The class will focus on about 5 words per lesson and it will test you on a few different things, majority of the time its translating the words from the language you are learning to the language that you speak.  So if I was asked to translate “De man of de vrouw,” I could pick out the words from a word bank to translate this sentence or I would be asked to type it out in English.  Also the translation is an example from the Basics 1 in Dutch, this phrase means, “The man or the woman.”

I find this app to be the best when learning new languages since it also goes over the grammar for each word and or phrase.  Since this is a free app there are also a few catches.  You will be given 5 lives and each time you get something wrong you will lose a life.  Sounds like a game doesn't it?  Well after all lives are gone or you lose on you will be placed on a time of so long get the life back.  I’m not really sure how long it takes to get a life back but by the next day you will ahem all your life back and can begin studying again!

For English speakers such as myself you have the option to take 23 courses.  You can take Spanish, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, Irish, Danish, Swedish, Turkish, Esperanto,  Norwegian, Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, Welsh, Hebrew, Vietnamese, Hungarian, Greek, Swahili, or Romanian.  Theres a wide range of languages that you can learn and its the simplest and easiest way to learn a languages without emptying your pockets.

Thank you all so much for reading and I hope this help points you towards leaning a new languages in a easy, fun, and stress free way.  Tell me what language you wan to learn in the comments below and what you think of the app.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment