Sunday, August 23, 2015

A Firm Butter Cream Frosting


When I’m not writing my blog or doing other things in life.  I will be thinking about baking stuff.  I have been known for a sweet tooth and I have always loved baking.  Just recently I’ve wanted to create a cake with a rosette pattern on it.

I have my 1M tip and my 2D tip which I found recommend from other avid bakers.  When you make the rosettes you need a thick and sturdy frosting.  Many people prefer to use a buttercream frosting due to that it’s the freshest and easy to make.  Some people will just buy it from the store.  If you want a good buttercream then, make it from scratch.  If you want a really good recipe for a buttercream frosting then go check out Cookies Cupcakes and Cardio.  I just love the recipe that she uses and I would defiantly recommend trying it.  Since I’m using a buttercream frosting for the rosettes I need to make sure that it will dry and hold its shape.


Now I based this recipe I’m going to give you off of the recipe I found at Craftsy.  Since I didn’t have as much vegetable shortening I had to alter a bit of the recipe.

Ingredients and Instructions
·      1 bag (2 pounds) of sifted confectioners’ sugar
·      One stick of butter
·      2 TBS (Table Spoons) of Vegetable shortening
·      1 ½ vanilla extract
·      1/3 or 1/2 of whole milk

Mix the butter, vanilla extract, and vegetable shortening in a large bowl.
Once you mix that, mix in the shifted sugar little bits at a time and little bits of milk.
(The more milk you add the thinner the frosting will be.)


In the recipe I found on Craftsy says we need 1 ½ of shortening.  I was low on shortening so cut quite a bit back and went with how much I had left, which was about 2 tables spoons.  It also says the milk could be 1/8 to ½ of a cup, I used about 1/3 or 1/2 of milk.  I used calcium enriched Lactaid milk and it worked perfect for the recipe. Make use you sift the sugar before you up it in the mixture.  It will make a huge difference.

Though there’s a lot of sugar in the recipe its needed to make a big batch.  I used this to make a rosette pattern on my cake and it turned out perfect.  I also had to make a second smaller batch because I decided to put on a crumb coat and I ran out of frosting to finish the top.  It still worked out well in the end though.  It still was delicious and I think the small amount of vegetable shortening was better that how much they wanted to be used.

Thanks for reading my post everyone.  I really love to bake sweets and a bunch of other stuff, so I hope that I can do more of these in the future.  If you have any suggestions or feed back put it in the comments below or on one of my social media pages.  Don’t forget to share this post with your friends and others.

Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment